View Single Post
Old 09-09-2004, 12:29 PM   #11
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
That list is bollocks. Southampton is number 1 for Electronics in the UK - everyone in England (working or studying in electronics areas) knows that and that's all that matters to me for example. Who cares if it isn't even in the top 100 overall? The point is, that list doesn't matter, you should check where the university is in your FIELD.
I beg to differ.

Southampton has a high rating in electronics due to increased funding and good facilities.

But if it lacks in other areas such as theoretical research the cross link effect will drag it down.

Sure you are good at that single area in a single department, but the world is more about inter-department co-opreration and influence.

If you can't influence the outside world through journals in all areas, you are as good as you think you are.
[/QUOTE]Southampton has the best rating in teaching AND research...
the others in the top 5 are Cambridge, Edimburgh, Imperial, Surrey IIRC

I guess you meant "AREN'T" as good as you think you are, in that last sentence. But you say single area, but it is actually the School of Electronics and Computer Science and include the Optoelectronics research centre etc. (which is shared with Physics) so it's a huge area. Anyway, not trying to argue, just thought I'd mention that.

[ 09-09-2004, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]