Thread: Sazerac
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2001, 10:39 AM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Dear BOUND4DOOM,

Your comments are well-received, and I thank you for answering and clarifying.

First, I do agree that it is ridiculous that the game wasn't designed for ME as well as 9x. I also know that the operating kernel for ME is significantly different from that of 9x, and that part of the problem with not being able to see the original intro movie/closing movie sequences, along with town problems, has to do with file compression codecs being set differently between the systems. There are workarounds to this problem. Most people don't know what it is, and it would have been nice for Activision to have placed at least some indication on how to fix the problem. The same goes for Win2k. We've had people who have come on the board who have attempted running WW with Win2k and have had the problem successfully fixed, with no other problems cropping up.

I also agree, there are significant bugs in the game that cause what would otherwise be a near-perfect gaming experience to be less than perfect. I myself rated the game an 8.5; probably because I didn't experience all the bugs you did.

My main contention with your post was that I felt that you were unfairly faulting the game for not supporting the ALT-TAB feature and for crashing with other applications running in the background. Other than Virus Scan (which, I, running McAfee, have never had a problem with running with WW), I never run anything on any game I'm playing, WW or any other. More often than not, I find this to be a Windows problem rather than the game, and would rather "give up" some conveniences to have a more stable gaming environment while I'm playing it.

I do appreciate your story about the service station owner. That is true service, and one rarely gets to see it in the "real world" anymore. Those are the gems that really restores one's faith in the world and its people.

Again, thanks for answering, and I'm glad you made it back to the board.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote