View Single Post
Old 03-14-2005, 05:58 AM   #4
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

leaving quests 'unfinished' is definitely a good idea for high-level duals - just do everything except talking to the quest giver - but getting to level 21 fighter will take you quite some time without mods, even further if you don't take the quest points - i have a feeling that if you leave the XP from quests in chapter 2 you'll be dualling after spellhold

scribing (and erasing and rescribing) scrolls will help you a lot but you can only really exploit this to it's full potential (about ~500K XP in waukeen's promenade alone) if you have some thief levels

imo a powergaming solo mage picks alignment on the basis of the familiar you want - my bard is chaotic neutral partly for character reasons but mainly because the cat gets 99% stealth - your other option iirc is the pickpocketing ferret

on the other hand alignment determines your bhall powers and you might want to make sure you get two draw upon holy mights (in my experence cure poison is useless as a solo as it always gets interrupted)

a powergaming solo kensai might want to take a point in axe or dagger to get a missile weapon (a good alignment allows you to use azuredge for cheap XP versus undead but the dragon familiars are poor imo)

you know where the shield amulet is to be found yes? you'll want that

i'd take ** 2-weapon style, ** katana, **scimitar to start with and level them up together (doing easier quests first means you'll get good scimitars before you get a good katana)

summons don't set off traps but mage protections (stoneskin, mirror image and spell protections) allow you to shrug most off as do high warrior saving throws generally - it's rare a trap will kill you outright but it's not a no-reloads game right?

ilbathra short sword allows you to cast mirror image as a warrior - veery useful, you'll want that as soon as possible

items that summon will be your frienda (spider figurine, genie bottle, staff of air) until you have mage spells

you only need to kill one troll to get the ring of earth control and a precious AC point

i'd say don't cheat in bags - you can buy a set of normal ones as soon as you leave the dungeon of course and imo hacking in a bag of holding is game unblancing but we all draw our lines of acceptability

speaking of which - the ring of air control bought from the edventurers mart casts improved invisibility once per day - again very useful (it's worth realising that in the same way that the bag of holding does, putting the used ring in a gem bag and taking it back out recharges it)

but enough from me - i've enjoyed late dual solos - it's great when you dual and have a low level character to deal with again, almost like starting a new game - the difficulty spirals down when your old class reativates though and i've tended to abandon them not long after

have fun
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote