Thread: Lionheart!
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2003, 01:06 AM   #12
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I didn't read all the posts in this thread, but I'd like to give my opinion on the game.

When I got the demo when it first came out, I was planning on making a review of it, but I had computer problems and it's been days since then. So I'll just keep it short and go get my internet fix.

In short, I was disapointed. I really liked the character creation. All those races and background were cool.

My problem come from the game itself. I found the graphics and controls to be akward.

Characters move extermly fast. So fast that I could never target them with spells or ranged weapons before then were standing right next to me and pounding me.

I also didn't like the interface. It's all split up. I like it when there is an inventory screen including items descriptions and possibly a paperdoll of some sort, and I like to have one clear status screen, not one divided in 3-4 parts. One thing that I found REALLY annoyng is the fact that there is no info screen at all for your followers.

I would have liked this game a lot if it had used the engine of Fallout or Baldur's gate, but I didn't like the Lionheart engine. The setting is interesting, but the game remind of Pool of Radiance II with the attribute system of Fallout.

I heard the demo is very old and the finished game will be a lot better. I hope so. I'm really interested in the idea of the game, but would not pay for a complete version of this demo.

Edit: Oh yeah! There is one thing I really disliked about this game. When you are in a dialog with an npc, beside each posible dialog choices, there is an icon representing the effect of that choice. So you know in advance if what you are about to say will make the npc attack you, trade with you, or if you are succesfully using diplomacy on him. This really remove all the fun from the game for me.

[ 08-06-2003, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]