View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 06:35 AM   #15
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Default Re: Windows 7 - video cards and games

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Never go with laptops for serious gaming. A desktop can do anything a laptop can and can do it far better. They're also alot harder to upgrade and upgrades are far more expensive, in some cases being strenously difficult to acquire (especially if warranties have expired). Indeed, some parts are not worth the trouble to upgrade at all because of time spent tracking them down and money spent on them. It's not uncommon to find people who just bought a brand new lappy rather than spend the same amount of money upgrading their older one. Sometimes routine desktop upgrades are non-existant for a laptop so you remain stuck with whatever's in there.

The only reason anyone should ever buy a lappy IMO is if they absolutely need the technology's one, saving-grace. Portability. Anything else is just bells and whistles that a desktop can do better and then some. Desktop = Removable everything, easy access, large ventialtion and ultimately, more power on every front with the potential for massive upgrades if you so wish.
Not true, I bought an XPS 1730M with all the best parts, sure it costs more but I like having something that takes up no room, has one power cable and was able to match my desktop easily, sure technology moves fast, but it's not like it used to be where your top of the line gear is outdated in a month, sure they are always brining out new things, but my 3 year old dual 8800GTX's in my desktop (and inn my laptop) are still able to play the latest games.

Everyone loves to make fun of people that spend lots more on gaming laptops, but some of them are just nice to own.

TDC has made a great suggestion with the M11x, it's a beast of a laptop and despite its small size, in 5 seconds you can plug in your larger monitor and its as good as a desktop.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote