View Single Post
Old 01-30-2005, 06:09 AM   #21
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
quote:
Originally posted by CerebroDragon:
Why should it be 'good by christian morality'?

I interpret the question free from religious values in general

No you don't.

And yeah, what Luvian said...
[/QUOTE]Errr, Yes I do. Surely a human being can claim their own morality regardless of where it may be somewhat derived from historically. The Platonic/Christian ideology in and of itself that you mention has no direct influence on the values I admire from LB, regardless of whether they can be arguably derived from it. Religious systems don't 'own' morality, the concept of 'the good', or values by association alone, by any means.
So here's to individualism and individual values, free from 'unconscious' influences of religion. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

To Lord British again and the Triumvirate of Truth, Love and Courage! [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img]

And on what Luvian said:
Yes, I've noticed Hiero has a penchant for Nietzschean derived thinking, of whom in general I have alot of admiration for. He was a university favourite who helped make my brain explode with ideas. You'd be more than aware then of his ideal for humans to create their own values, as he wrote of the constant need for the re-evaluation of them.
"The artist creates his own moral universe,” seems an apt quote. I think Dicky Garriot managed to do this very well with the Ultima universe even if it is a synthesis of values arguably derived from the world's religions.

For everyone else, just a thought, to make the thread more interesting....

I'd like to see some more reasons listed for your choices rather than just name listing. For instance, I found Arthas from Warcraft III to be incredibly selfish, cynical towards the elder paladins and often quite self-righteous which I think detracts from any 'noble' disney like characteristics he might have.

Cheers,
CerebroDragon
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote