Thread: Mathematics
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2003, 12:30 AM   #25
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabrielles blades:
i somewhat enjoy math more than other subjects (such as english) but still believe it is next to useless in the real world once you get past that level that isnt used by anyone but certain professions.

The method i learned math was prety much memorize formule A, reasons why to apply formula A, and then doing problems involving that formula till i worked out the various 'kinks' that they like to throw in to make it more difficult. This didnt teach me anything about analytical thinking or good planning; i learned these things in the real world (games!) i mean really, untill college every single class seems to be just memorization of a technique or information temporarily. Heck, a lot of college courses are like that. there are very very very few classes that focus on you thinking for yourself, coming up with your own answers, planning/analyzing situations etc.

You said it there. The kinks are like red herrings which cause many to peceive maths as difficult. Difficult is not the right word as the only time you cannot do maths is when you have not memorized the formula and become familiar with these kinks. There is nothing difficult about that - you either know it or you don't.