View Single Post
Old 08-27-2006, 12:07 AM   #45
the Dark Neighbor
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok, I'm new to this board. I've read all the posts related to W&W technical problems, but I've not seen my particular problem addressed yet. Before I get into it, here are my specs:

Vid card: GeForce 5200
Direct X: 9.0
Memory: 318 MB

This is going to be long, but I want to be thorough. This problem is seriously driving me up the wall! Ok...
When I got W&W back in 2001, it worked fine, and it has worked fine since... until now. I'm running the patched version of W&W. I don't know why, but the speech, sound, display, town scenes, are all perfectly fine. I don't have any of the town display or speech problems that anyone else has had. However, if I leave town or load a saved game, the game runs fine for about 45 seconds to 1 minute, and then it abruptly hangs. It doesn't seem to be triggered by anything specific (e.g. no problems with speech, maps, animation, combat, or whatever), it just stops and does not respond to anything, not even CTRL + ALT + DEL (I have to hit the power button to get out). The cursor still animates, but it does not respond to the mouse. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling clean, but the result is always the same. Seriously, it was working fine about a week ago, and I can't think of anything I might have installed to cause a problem. My virus scanner and firewall are up to date, and they claim my computer is clean. I defragmented my hard drive, ran the DirectX diagnostic, and tried everything suggested for other peoples' crash problems, but nothing seems to be working. And of course, everything else on my computer works fine, it's just old (hey, I'm still runnin' Win98, after all).
Any ideas, ladies and gentlemen? I hope that's enough info, but let me know if you need more. Please, please, please, guys! If I can't fix this, I'll have to go back to Wizardry 8 for a while.

Thanks in advance. I love this website, by the way! Thanks to you guys's game tips, I had Cet quakin' in his boots before I had this crash problem. It seems he finally found a way to beat me after all this time... by cursing my friggin' computer! [img]tongue.gif[/img] Damn, that bastard fights dirty!
the Dark Neighbor is offline   Reply With Quote