View Single Post
Old 10-25-2001, 09:51 AM   #5
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaleban:
It is an awesome staff for a spellcaster.

Location Spoiler and Info
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Unfortunately, it seems very munchkin. I mean, put it in your mage/sorcerors weapon slot, and any time you hit the F2/3 key, you become invisible and protected from evil. With the cloak of non-detection, the only threat in the game are from monsters like shadow beasts which can see invisible.

Problem is, now that I know how to acquire it, I've reached a dilemma. Do I purposefully ignore its availability and handicap my spellcaster (I've actually tried soloing with a couple types, and the Staff seems so cheesy) intentionally, or embrace its power and munchkinize? I find it hard to believe that with a Staff of Cloudkill, one scroll of both Protection from Magic and Undead, you can kill a beholder, Lich, Vampire, high-level mage, and a powerful fighter and obtain the most useful item in the game!

What are your thoughts on this subject? Was its inclusion a bad idea? I mean, the Bladesinger Chain doesn't come until nearly the very end of the game, so I am just wondering if perhaps the Staff being made available right at the start (I can usually acquire it by the 8th day of game time) is poor balancing?
I've actually never used it myself. I am really dipping into
the spellcasting side of the game now. Not quite solo, taking
a fighter (V.S.) and sorcerer through. I plan on cheesing out
the rest of the way.. As soon as I get my hands
on it, I might drop the fighter and try to continue solo.
I just saved up and bought the Robe of Vecna. That's almost
unfair.