View Single Post
Old 05-30-2001, 08:40 PM   #6
Robin, Thief of Hearts
The Magister

I spent a lot of time experimenting with dual classed thief and fighter classes. Here are some tips that might be useful-

Going from Thief to Fighter:
Disadvantages are lower hit points, and limited ability as a thief( you'll dual at level 9-10 right?) so you end up with a weaker fighter and a less effective thief.
Advantages are you get to pick a thief kit if you especially like any of them.
Going with a Swashbuckler might not be the best choice- you lose backstabbing.
If you take Assassin, the limited skill points available make the character very ineffective as a good thief, and you lose the higher backstab bonuses that would come later in the Assassin career. Trying Bounty Hunter may be a good choice.

Going from Fighter to Thief:
--This works much better. You get a lot of Hit points, and the Thief levels up fast, so you actually dual earlier on. As a plain Thief( kitless) you get the max number of skill points to use. And, the Kit choices for Fighter are available, including Kensai, and Berserker.
Since you cannot use heavy armour to stealth about, you might as well pick the Kensai. (My Kensai-thief cannot wear the Shadow Armour. Might be a bug? I dunno.)
Kai ability plus backstab is a hefty weapon! If you allocate a point or two into axes, or even daggers, you can get the useful ability to throw weapons as a missile, (something the Kensai cannot do with bows.)Ranged attacks are VERY useful. I like daggers meself for RP, but there's only the AI to see it, so what's the point? Take axes.

When a thief, you can put stars into weapon styles - dual weapon is good. If you place a single star in the single weapon category, it allows you to wield just one weapon, and get a little bonus in the AC, but this can just as easily come with a buckler. So, put it in Sword & Shield instead. Makes you flexible.

NEVER make the mistake of putting stars in the SAME weapon class when you dual class, as they will be lost forever when you get your first class back. They don't accumulate!