View Single Post
Old 10-02-2000, 07:33 PM   #6
OldFart

Huntress:

I think you are what I refer to as a "Casual RPG fan". Meaning, quite simply, you just fell into this genre without LEARNING it, and appreciating it. This would explain your strange opinion of BG2. You never grew up playing the SSI Goldbox games on your C64, so you feel no connection with those games...or, more then likely, you just couldn't handle the difficulty.
I liked Icewind Dale as well, ( http://www.cyberenet.net/~spvega/images/allstars.jpg ) but I prefer the game giving me "unique" party members, rather then making my own. After all, anyone can roll up some cheesy 18/00 strength fighters with 18 dexterity and plow through the game..but only a truly talented player can get Yoshimo, Mazzy, and Valygar through the game with their base statistics. I found Icewind Dale to be WAAAAAAY too easy, and Belhifet was a total wuss. Heck, the two Iron Golems in his room were tougher then he was. Just cast Defensive Harmony, Haste, and beat him into oblivion. Hmmm...Sounds like the strategy I used for Sarevok as well...gosh, who woulda thunk it?

Anyway, now that my flame is done,

My own impressions of W&W are far more valid, since I actually WRITE for a major gaming magazine and website for a living, and thusly, what I say comes from an RPG veteran, not a doped-up 16 year old.

W&W is fun in the same way Wizardry Gold was. It's a throwback to the old 3D dungeon romps I grew up with. Games like Dungeon Master 2: Skullkeep, Eye of the Beholder, And Ultima Underworld all come to mind when I first saw the game playing on my PC. And like those games, it's fun....but confusing without a guide or a detailed map. Unlike "serious" CRPGs like BG2...ahem....W&W makes itself challenging by causing frustration, rather then making an enemy tough. So instead of having to use strategy to fight an end boss like you would in a serious modern RPG, W&W instead forces you to trudge through puzzle-infested dungeons that make no sense that offer the gamer no clues as to where to go or what to do to reach the end.

I never finished Wizardry 6 or 7, and I see that W&W will suffer the same fate as well.

Good games that could have been better if they were less frustrating.

http://www.cyberenet.net/~spvega

The God of Gaming Hath Spoken.