View Single Post
Old 02-20-2001, 09:11 PM   #1
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

I thought seeing this is a Baldurs gate board I should post some sort of advice thing for the game. We've had debates on different character classes all over the place but I thought we should have them all in the one spot so players can go there, particularly newbies, and learn all about the different classes. Feel free to post your own advice, tactics, advantages etc of the different classes. There are a lot of experienced players here so we might as well tap into it. I'll open the batting so to speak with my favourite character class-
THE FIGHTER: I'll mostly be dealing with a pure class fighter here. Feel free no ignore or modify some things depending on your kit. General advice first. Make sure your strength, dexterity and constitution are all 18. Keep rolling till you get a high strength percentile (the number next to the 1 goes from 01-00. Charisma is probably the next most important as the fighter will probably be the leader of the party. There is a ring to give charisma 18 but you want to save the ring slots for rings of protection and regeneration. The fighters main advantage is the increased weapon mastery so put five slots in the one weapon, preferrably a melee weapon. Think carefully about how you want to use your fighter and pick proficiencies accordingly. You can go two different ways a) strict melee. Give him two weapon style. It's better to have two of the same weapon than two diffrent ones. May have a hand weapon and missile weapon but doesn't spend slots on the missile weapon at first. Puts slots in either single or double handed weapon stlye. May carry a shield in which case best melee weapon is axe so you can use throwing axes too.b) Archer. has five slots in longbow or crossbow. c) Bit of both. May have five slots in a melee weapon then their last slot in missile weapon. May split them evenly.
The point is think very carefully about how you want to use them.
Best weapon choices: The new player should put five slots in axes then the last one in sword and shield style. Great hand and throwing axes can be gained early in the game. Will dfeal out lots of damage in melee and shooting and can carry a shield. Most of the time you'll be fighting close combat so better to put slots in melee skills first, five in a weapon then others in the appropriate weapon style. Single weapon style can be a good choice if you want to use a bow still as it still gives you an armour class bonus and increases chances of critical hits, resulting in even more damage caused.
GAMEPLAY- Don't be afraid to run into the thick of the fighting. You'll deal out massive damage and have the best armour and hit points in the party probably. Always carry heaps of healing potions in your quick slots. But don't get overwhelmed. try to lure several monsters out of a group and destroy them piecemeal. Protect the weaker members of the party. A fighter is a flexible character that can continue dealing out damage long after the mages have run out of spells. Most enemy mages will be destroyed in several hits. A high level, well equipped fighter is more than a match even for the dragons in the game.
BEST WEAPONS- Celestial fury(katana), Crom Fayr(warhammer), Vorpal sword(2 handed sword), Warblade(2 handed sword), Frostreaver(axe), Tansherons bow(short bow), Azure edge(throwing axe), Strong arm(long bow) The Guide(cross bow)
USEFUL ITEMS- Ring of regeneration, Ring of protection, Ring of gax, Boots of speed, one of the girdles of strength.
There we go. that's enough for now. Will add more tactics at a later date.