View Single Post
Old 03-09-2003, 01:08 AM   #14
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Do you get nettles over there? They are common in England, nasty buggers they are too.

If you touch them, you get a rash that comes up in bumps and an itchy burning sensation. It subsides after a few hours and isn't dangerous unless you are allergic to them - a severe allergic reaction might include breathing difficulties, if that happens get to a hospital, other than that medical attention won't be required.

The best remedy is to rub the affected area with dock leaves, which (at least in England) often grow nearby. Other than that aloe vera may soothe it. But it will pass, doesn't last long.

If they *are* nettles, (you mentioned fireweed, but as far as I know that's not an irritant - can grow up to 8 feet tall and has pink flowers in the autumn, so look quite different to nettles) you can make excellent fertiliser with them. Pull them up (wearing gloves) put in a tub, cover with boiling water, and leave until cool. Then you can use the liquid as fertiliser - one of the best there is.

Or you can make nettle tea - steep nettle leaves (washed well) in a cup of hot water, strain, and drink - sweetened if you like. Tastes horrid to be honest, but some people like it, and it's rich in iron.

Also it's worth leaving a small patch growing - they can be invasive so will need beating back every once in a while - but in the summer they attract lots of good pollinating insects such as butterflies and honey bees into your garden, so in general it is good to have some around.
That looks like the plant! (She is fine now) just itched for a few hours.. I remember pulling these weeds/plants and never itch (Although, I am immune to poison ivy too.. maybe that has something to do with it? [img]smile.gif[/img] ) I can rub poison ivy all over my arm and never get bumps or rash.. Lucky I guess

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album