Old 06-27-2003, 12:56 AM   #24
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
quote:
Originally posted by IronDragon:
quote:
While I agree that this is a major victory for gay rights, I think it's a bit erroneous to classify it as a victory for human rights.
So your saying gays and lesbians are not human. [/QUOTE]Nope...I didn't say that at all, IronDragon. [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

Justice Kennedy said the law "demeans the lives of homosexual persons". He did not say the law "demeans the lives of all persons". Hence, it is specifically a gay rights issue.

Thanks for the chuckle, though.
[/QUOTE]Unless one implies that homosexuals are not part of humanity as a whole, then a law that demeans homosexuals, demeans all of humanity just as a microcosm relates to a bigger, more diverse macrocosm.

In other words since homosexuals are human and their rights of been improved, all of humanity's rights have been improved.

Besides, alot of the sodomy laws that may be effected by this ruling apply to heterosexuals as well. Anal sex, oral sex, and in some places, any sex thats not performed in the missionary position are all prohibited by theses laws, regardless of sexual orientation.

It is a victory for human rights, a victory for sexual rights, and a victory for the rights of privacy as well.