Thread: Should I buy?
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2003, 11:02 PM   #19
StarVid
Elminster

Quote:
Why don't you try explaining your opinion a little better than "The game suck, I breezed trough it."
I believe I did, look at my other posts. But you want more detail? There will be spoilers, but I'll warn ahead of time.

Quote:
StarVid, you are the only one that say the game is not worth getting.
You're not going to find anyone else tell you the game sucks, because the people who think the game sucks doesn't waste their time on these forums. Makes sense, doesn't it? Luckily for me (and Felix), I'm a grad student with way too much free time on my hands this week. And keep in mind, with how much free time I have and how bored I've been this week, I'm still not wasting my time on this game. Though, I actually started a new game in it recently to give it another shot. But I didn't even finish the first map before I decided to put away the game for good.

Quote:
As for comments about "roleplaying"...
STORYLINE:

The storyline was boring. You'll figure most of it out before you are halfway through the game. There will be nothing significant left to figure out, therefore nothing compelling you to finish from an intellectual standpoint. At least in BG2 you were moving forward to figure out who Irenicus is and what his deal is. And then you moved forward to find out more about the Bhaalspawn legacy. There's none of that in IWD2. Before the halfway point in the game, the bosses you fight tell you almost everything you need to know about the story, and it's extremely easy to guess the rest. Here's the SPOILER. Basically, by the halfway point, you find out that the endless stream of enemies are caused by these two twins who are building an army to conquer the Dale. I don't know if I'm remembering this right, but later on you find out that the twins are crossbreeds (with demons or something) who started their own town and they were just trying to set up trade relations with other towns in the Dale. Instead of being nice about it the other towns (Targos, I believe) sent the ambasadors back with some virus/poison/infection to hopefully wipe out the town. The twins got pissed, and war ensued. END SPOILER. Overall, the storyline was extremely basic, with no subplot, a weak premise, and only one really lame plot twist. It has the intellectual stimulation of children's television.

The ending was insanely stupid, and a lot of people on the Interplay boards (which are busier than here, maybe you'd like to get more opinions there. http://forums.interplay.com ) griped about it. Basically, people wanted the option to side with the "bad guys" because they really weren't the bad guys in the end, depending on your perspective of the situation. Frankly, the people of the Dale towns got what was coming to them.

The game was extremely linear, which was so annoying because the option for multiple endings would have been quite appropriate in this situation. And the storyline was so boring (I think I've said this many times). It wasn't even as if the NPCs were talking in character. Whenever a mini-boss would "tell you his evil plan before he kills you", he would tell it as if a friend was telling you about what happened in a game.

*yawn*

GAMEPLAY:

Gameplay? Easy. Easy. Easy. Yeah, I could have started a party in HoF at level 1, but there wouldn't have been a point. Gameplay was also extremely boring. It was just an endless stream of battles from beginning to end. Level up now and again, increase your abilities, use it on the endless stream of enemies, and continue. It was very Diablo-esqe (i.e. monotonous) in that regard. The enemies weren't interesting, and the same tactics that work for the first battle, works for every other battle. No thought necessary. In BG2 it was different (I didn't like BG2 either, but I won't get into that here). Eventually you had to learn when and where to use breach, spellstrike, etc. which could be annoying busywork for your mages, but at least it made things more interesting. Also, you faced a better variety of enemies with regards to their abilities and attributes.

In short, IWD2 was like a game of Pong.

You really should check out the Interplay boards. They're busier, and the members are much more informed about the inner workings of Interplay and their projects. Also, there are a lot less fanboys over there. Not that there's anything wrong with being a fanboy, but you'll have an easier time at getting both sides of the story.

[ 05-07-2003, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: StarVid ]