View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 02:48 AM   #1
Shadow Stranger

Choc Decrypting FRUA Save Game Files

I am currently decrypting the FRUA save files. This may be useful in DC when start wholesale importing of FRUA designs along with save files provided by the authors.

I got a surprise when I looked in the folder: CSV files! (They are usually Microsoft Excel files, so you see the Excel icon in the save game folder. I don't know why SSI chose a "csv" extension for these files.)

Anyway, instead of 13 individual "dat", "sav" and "stf" files and up to 6 "sfx" files you have just one "csv" file. So where do the individual PC records start? This is hard to tell, fortunately the "cch" files are one per PC. When you create a PC the details are recorded in a "cch" file, which is never altered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikus View Post
You need to go to the Rosedragon repository and look through the stuff there. As there are multiple PC editors for FRUA, including trainers, I am sure that you will be able to find the notes for decrypting the save file.

Let me find the address in case you don't have it...
http://frua.rosedragon.org/index.htm

In computing, "csv" usually refers to "comma separated values/variables". I don't know about MS Excel using this as a file extension, but this is one of the oldest type of data file formats going back to the first mail merge files on Unix machines. But, it might also provide a hint as to the sturcture of the file - what that means after it's been encrypted is beyond me to say, but it might help an expert like you.
Some of those editors look home grown to the point of dodgy.
As for the FRUA csv files they seem to have no connection living or dead to anything Excel, they seem to be pure "dat" files. In Excel the csv files are the most basic possible spreadsheet, they are to spreadsheets what plain text is to MS Word documents.

Edit:
The FAQ part of RoseDragon had a Hacking part that showed a decryption of the CCH files.
http://frua.rosedragon.org/faq/

Edit:
If you want a character of level N but have doubts about the PC Editor:
set the level to N-1
set the xp to what is needed for level N
alter hp if desired
make any other changes needed like altering a Mage spellbook.
Start the game or reload the relevant save game, go train the PC, game will handle all the stuff you don't know about.

Last edited by Shadow Stranger; 05-20-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote