View Single Post
Old 05-29-2003, 08:50 PM   #72
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Bardan the Slayer:
Ouch! The perception of the USA I always had was that Magik was right and it was founded on Christianity, but reading this, it seems like the founding fathers had quite a high level of disgust for Christianity.

I guess the common perception may be (and certainly the one I had) was that America is a Christian country (in general) because it grew out of the Christianity of the founding fathers. Looks like I should change my perception to 'America is a Christian country in spite of the opinions of the founding fathers.'

It was certainly an eye-opener to see how vehemently some of those great men denied that they wanted anything to do with Christianity and the Christian Church, especially when it came to the business of founding a Government.

I was quite surprised at these quotations as well, since I have recently (fall 2002 semester) finished a course of study on the topic in college and have read many of their private letters to friends and family on the subject...I never once got the hint that they hated their religions and had the impression that not only were they religious men, they attended service regularly....now I will have to do more research on the issue specificly because like I said this doesnt jibe with what I have read on the subject to date.....if I cannot find evidence to the contrary I will have to admit defeat and admit I was wrong....(oh the shame of it all )

Good posts Reeka.