View Single Post
Old 10-31-2000, 04:52 PM   #12
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Hey all, lordkymil, I'm the one who mentioned that bandit encounter, it happened to me after resting at the mound. After reading the other posts, it must be somewhat random.
To get that quest in the Harper stronghold, you first have to rescue the poisoned man from his attackers, happend to me in a travel/waylayed, scenario. Taking him to the Harpers is what gets your foot in the door. Heh, if you told Xzar where to shove it, then yeah, you missed out.
Jaheira's being called away after you inadvertantly become an accomplice in Xzar's death seems to be random as well. I have a few games running concurrently, in my Ranger game she was called away at that time. In my fighter game, that incident has come and gone and I am still waiting for her to be called away.

Addenum: Regarding Jahiera as an NPC, I know alot of people seem not to like her. I actually enjoy her character immensely, especially in BG2 since you get to see here character delvelope from her constant BG era nagging and bickering into a more sensitive and even romantic personage. It is a nice developement. I also have to agree with those who view Jaheira as an asset in the group. Heck I'm only in chapter 3, and she has nearly a hundred hp, plate +1, ring of protection, med shield +2, helm +2, and her armor class is -7. Heck she almost never gets hit by anything. She has a sling +2 with bullet +2, and hits with nearly every shot. And she also has a good range of spells.
I think some of these side quests may be based on your relationship with the woman/women if you have the overide. My third game is as an Half-Orc fighter, I wanted the strength and dexterity bonuses of 19, which I got. He started the game with 120hp, could pack 500 pounds and an unmodified thaco of 6, great for a starting character. The prob is that Half-Orc's suffer a big charisma hit (of course Black Isle doesn't say how big ,). Heh, no woman wants him, and I have noticed that since they are not chummy chummy with him, that some of these side quests have not come up.