View Single Post
Old 12-22-2000, 10:31 AM   #15
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

How long is a piece of string? As an Artist - a singer/songwriter - I have songs that range from a U2 rock/pop sound to a George Micheal smooth groove and from a Travis dreamy folk sound to Rembrandts Jangle pop. I've even created "Boy Band" sounds along the N-Sync line.

As a recording artist it's quite detrimental to be that eclectic, but as a Session Vocalist where I'm hired to sing TV commercials etc, and small time Record Producer (mainly independent artists rather than big budget record companies) it helps a lot as I can lock into various musical styles and change my voice or production sound to fit the clients desires.

Asking a seemingly harmless question like that is like opening a can of worms for me. Sorry about the length of the reply. It's 2:30am in Australia and I had a gig tonight where I played my own material with a band in a jangle pop meets folk style and it left me deep in thought. Got on the web for a bit of distraction and here I am talking about my music! Aah the self employed. We never leave work.....