View Single Post
Old 12-27-2004, 04:14 PM   #50
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek:

You're right that there are a number of men out there that miss the cut on several tournaments a year. If I remember correctly, Annika's performance was actually given a fairly good review. I believe she made it to the second round of cuts and most reports I heard were giving her credit for doing that well.
Just FYI... there is only one cut in a golf tournament. There are four rounds; everyone plays the first two rounds. Then, approximately half (I think? Maybe a third. Lets say it's half anyway ) the players are cut because their score is worse than the cut-off. The score cut-off is determined by the score that the top half of the players get - so, if the score of the players on the 50th percentile is +2, then the cut will be +3 and everyone who scored +3 or above is cut. Then everyone left plays the last two rounds [img]smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek:

It did raise questions of whether or not she could compete consistently on the same level as the men..
Yes, and my point was, it shouldn't have. There's no way such questions could be answered by that one performance that was affected by so many other factors than her ability. These 'experiments' are damaging to women's sport precisely because they do raise such questions, when they cannot possibly answer them, and the last thing they represent is women and men competing equally in the same competition.