View Single Post
Old 12-27-2004, 10:23 AM   #48
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I think part of the issue comes back to the business side of things. A top player in the WNBA makes a max of $87,000 (per the WNBA collective bargaining agreement). The minimum salary for a rookie in the NBA is $300,000. The average WNBA salary is either $46,000 or $60,000, while the average NBA salary is $4.5 million. Why do women want into that league? Well, there are several million reasons right there!

That's not to say that it comes down to a money issue, because it doesn't. But the existing infrastructure (including a fan base) is there to support the NBA, and it's not there to support the WNBA.

Would you like to be told that you can do a job for X over here, but you can't go over there, do the same job, and get 100X for it?

To put it further into perspective, the CBA (minor league to the NBA) pays even less than the WNBA, from my recollections. It also struggles for lack of a fan base, and it's a league where a team that's been around for five years is considered ancient.

If there were a comparable women's league for pro sports, then there wouldn't (I believe) be an issue. But there isn't, so there's an issue.

I do think that anyone wanting to play up in the major leagues needs to acknowledge and accept that when you play with the big dogs, you're going to get bit on occasion. Accept it and move on. It's nothing personal... the big dogs bite anyone who moves into their turf.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.