View Single Post
Old 04-20-2004, 05:02 PM   #37
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Ehrys:

All in all... sounds like the golden retriever is the way to go so far... only bad thing I'm hearing about them is the shedding hair and need for excercise (which should be ok, I have need of more excercise than it does I'm sure)
Great post, Thoran [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] - totally agree [img]smile.gif[/img] . One breed you might consider if you're not into shedding, or if anyone in your family is allergic to dog hair, is a poodle or poodle cross. They have wool not hair so it doesn't shed at all, and is non-allergenic, you just need to get it clipped every 6 weeks or so. Labradoodles are fantastic dogs - Labrador-poodle crosses, they're actually used for guide dogs as well because of their intelligence and great temperament.

Cross-breeds (mutts) can often be really good dogs - often more hardy and less prone to injuries than purebreds, however the only problem is you don't know exactly what you're going to get with a mutt. Relatives of mine got a little puppy from the pound many years ago and because it had fairly small feet they assumed it would be a small dog when it grew - big dogs usually have large overgrown puppy feet - a year later and they were looking after a huge big shaggy mutt . A lovely dog but not what they expected. At least with a purebreed or a controlled cross-breed you can be confident of exactly what it's going to look like and what sort of upkeep you'll be expecting [img]smile.gif[/img]