View Single Post
Old 01-22-2003, 03:37 AM   #46
esquire
The Magister

Ah, very interesting thread. I'm always interested in seeing different perspectives on how people view their world.

OK, so here is mine...

As an atheist, and thus not believing in the concept of a god, I look forward to being pleasantly surprised when I die and end up in hell. [img]smile.gif[/img] It would be more than what I’m expecting to happen! From all I have seen of the world, I have come to the conclusion that religion does play the important role of keeping people in line to an extent… acting as the ‘glue’ of a society. It provides stability, direction, and instills hope—usually all good things.

IMO the creation of the concept of god by humanity is an act of vanity on our part. As humans living on a tiny planet, orbiting an average star, in a small corner of the milky way galaxy, are we not pushing it a bit to make the assumption that we are even remotely significant or unique among the billions and billions and billions of other planets?

Well perhaps we aren’t and we really are that special, I don’t know. Perhaps a few centuries from now we will have some more concrete answers. IMO, I just think that believing in a god is just jumping to a premature conclusion. The universe is much more complicated than we give it credit for.