View Single Post
Old 03-27-2003, 03:42 PM   #69
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I'm stepping in here to remind everyone that this is a FRIENDLY discussion and not the Inquisition.

Thorfinn, you apparently take this topic so seriously that your tone and choice of words in some cases can appear hostile to others. If this topic gets you hot under the collar (or anyone for that matter), remember that it's better to step back and cool off before telling someone that their situation or argument is laughable or implying their problems are trivial. They certainly don't think this and it only makes the atmosphere tense and combative.

As for my personal view- I don't think any argument is served by taking the topic and trivializing it by saying there are 'worse things' out there. While that CAN serve to bring things into perspective in some cases, it is more likely to make the other person angry or defensive and feel that the person making that argument doesn't care about their situation. In my experience, if someone feels something bad happened in their own lives, they can certainly acknowledge that worse IS possible, but they will more than likely still be upset or emotional over what happened to them.

This thread is leaning off topic, but as it is still related in some way to 'employee/employer' issues, I'll leave it up to the originator to decide if he wants to continue on this track or ask to start a new thread.