View Single Post
Old 09-12-2001, 03:14 PM   #21
Moni

[quote]Originally posted by Sorcerer Alex:
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
This country makes it too easy for foreigners to come here...they give them housing, educations and money to live on when they arrive! That is not to say that all foreigners are bad or bad for our country, but many with bad intentions can slip through unnoticed under the pretense that they are here to become citizens.

This worries me because I'm hoping to study in the US next year. After that I'd like to make it my home. I hope they'll let me in all right. I'm notta terrorist

I would not worry about it. This is a strong nation and I doubt that our open-door policy to foreigners will be slammed shut.
Being European, I seriously doubt that you will be scrutinized for your desire to study in this country.

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenese of Pumpkintown:
I think it is patently obvious that most Americans seem to value American lives more than those of people of other countries.

It is patently obvious that most Americans care a good deal more about terrorist threats to the US than to other countries.

The same could probably be said of the attitudes of most other countries in the world. It is common to value the people closest to you more (and I mean this as much in personal and cultural senses as physical) than people further away.

I don't see any point in denying this basic truth.
First off are you aware that saying "patently obvious" is basically saying "obviously obvious"? Redundancy out of you is suprising!

Secondly, I fail to see where Americans value their own lives over other people's in this world. Who is most willing to go into other countries and lend a hand against terrorism attacks world-wide?
I don't know of any one country that can be pinpointed as the first one in line, but America does not turn a blind eye to the suffering of others through terrorism.
Before the treaties preventing the execution of terrorists, was America not more than willing to go in armed and rid the world of such fear-mongers as terrorists?
The Red-Cross is active on an international level when it comes to supplying needed medical attention, blood, food, and water to people all over the world who suffer from natural and terrorist based tragedies as well as in the aid of war-torn communities. This American based organization has spread the word world-wide that we are all worthy of life.
Yes, we love our families and neighbors a tad more than we (are able to through lack of personal contact) love a total stranger across the ocean but that does not mean we don't care, that we hold our existence above theirs as being more important because we are "Americans".
If we did, we'd be no better than those who live to terrorize the rest of the world!

Just my opinion.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 09-12-2001).]