View Single Post
Old 09-05-2002, 09:02 AM   #47
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Actually, Epona, I have thought about that, becase it puzzled me, when we had a thread about music once, that so many people, Neb comes to mind, talked about how much music means to them. It used to, to me, (I was a folkie) but now it doesn't at all, any more. In fact, people regularly annoy me by assuming that I love classical music, when, in fact, I can take it or leave it alone. I think that, when one is younger, it is very important to belong to a group, and people who listen to similar music seem to have similar outlooks on life. So, if you dress as a particular subculture does, you are more likely to be identified by others of your inclination, and be, if not friends with them, at least in sympathy with them. Also, emotional turmoil brings out musical desires (playing Frank Sinatra and Linda Ronstadt duringf a divorce, for example) but that does not create the self-identification that you speak of. I have been in offices where the decor was primarily Grateful Dead posters or Elvis memorabilia, and I felt vaguely shocked, not professional, I'd think. But, I guess that stems from the same desire to relate to fellow fans. I guess that I would say that it all comes from insecurity and angst, and I'm sure everybody knows how music helps with that.