View Single Post
Old 01-03-2005, 08:46 PM   #33
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

ok killing babies. You see it as evil. now theres a priest that can save an entire village by sacrificing a baby. I see that as evil. That priest might see it as good, because he saves an entire village. how is a spell to judge whether its good or evil? now what if you must turn in your party because they broke the law? an officer would see that as lawfull. the party sees it as chaotic (since rules were broken) how is a spell to jugde? A Druid joins the evil side because good is taking over the world. I see that as evil because he joins an evil side. The druid sees it as "true neutral" because its balanced. a neutral god might even see it as good because he is bringing balance. you could also judge it as lawfull because he is following druid codes, or you could see it as chaotic because he keeps switching sides.

My complaint about allignments isnt about players trying to follow allignments, or about what the gameworld might think, Its about a moralless essence called magical energy that is suppost to judge the deeds of moral beings. you claim that i talk myself in the corner with the statement:

"You say you don't force morals on your players, and let them pick, and then go on to state that the gameworld might judge them for their actions.."

however you confiniently left out the most important part of my entire post

" i dont think spells should."

in my opinion the gameworld and its morals do not reflect the way a moralless energy would judge. The gameworld is irrelavent for allignments because in the gameworld everybody has different opinions aswell. spells can judge which set of morals is best, and because of that spells cant judge evil/good chaotic/lawfull. spells cant sense the reasons behind the actions of people.

[ 01-03-2005, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: Rikard T'Aranaxz ]