View Single Post
Old 09-17-2002, 04:12 PM   #3
WillowIX
Apophis

1) Game Crashes

1.1) Game crashes during Cet-Kerah fight
Problem: Not enough RAM in your system
Solution: Before playing this stage of the game, ctrl-alt-del on your desktop; in task manager, "End Task" as many of the Windows tasks as posible (things like sleepmngr, quickfind, instantaccess, etc. - do not end Explorer, Systray or Rundll!). This frees up enough ram for the game to continue. One other tip: The more that's going on during the confrontation, the more memory is used. During Cet's and Kerrah's speech, back away and stay partially hidden behind a pillar, just peeping out to see the action. When Kerrah attacks, duck behind the pillar to avoid damage. This minimizes the amount of detail the game has to generate. After her attack, wade in and strike. If you have Haste cast, you should hit her enough times to spawn her plea for holy water before she attacks you again.
Solution provided by: jsalsb

1.3) Game crashes when eqipping the Vampire ring
Problem: The game crashes after completing Adrianna´s quest
Solution: If you want to keep the Vampire ring equipped you must install the Heuristic Park patch. In an unpatched game the game will keep crashing when equipping the ring.
Solution provided by: Wyvern

1.5) Game crashes when leaving Valeia
Problem: You need the latest Intel Indeo video and audio codecs
Solution:You can get them at LigosYou don't need to get the source code or demos, just the codecs. The game looks nice, but I'm not picky about graphics since I still enjoy playing DOS VGA games. It works for me in all resolutions, hardware or software, all detail levels. And at 1024x768 Hardware, my interface buttons look the same as in other modes, not ugly and unreadable. I do find nighttime very dark though and I don't enjoy turning up the gamma or the brightness on my monitor. Maybe I'll play with the lights off. I believe that a previous game I installed had overwritten the Indeo codecs with its own. How I wish for the simple days of debugging DOS games where all you had to deal with was config.sys and autoexec.bat. Who could have guessed it was Indeo? After so many hours of troubleshooting (thank god I decided to not go through the hassle of reformatting and installing Windows again), the problem is fixed.
Solution provided by: axel

1.8) Game freezes temporarily when talking
Problem: The CD-ROM may have trouble reading the sound files from the CD
Solution:Do a thorough Disk Defragment on your hard drive. As your hard drive becomes fragmented, it takes longer and longer and longer to look for files...which can become quite noticeable after awhile. Otherwise try doing a full install of the game.
Solution provided by: Sazerac

1.10) Game runs slow then crashes
Problem: A fragmented hard drive or out of date drivers
Solution: Have you tried doing a Disk Defragmentation recently? Sometimes that can be the source of a problem. Also
run Scandisk before you do the Disk Defrag. Both of these utilities can be found in Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools. If that doesn't fix the problem, check your video card drivers. Also, are you running in Software Mode? If not, change your display to Software Mode...it uses fewer resources.
Solution provided by: Sazerac

1.11) Mmsystem 266 error or black screen in the game
Problem: Damaged or missing files in the windows\system folder
Solution: This error can occur if any of the following files are damaged or missing from the Windows\System folder:
Msvideo.dll
Mciavi.drv
Dciman.dll
You are prompted to choose between running a complete Setup or copying all files again, choose to copy all the files again. Or, you can extract the files you want to replace from the original Windows disks or CD-ROM. If you have Windows 98, to extract a copy of the Msvideo.dll, Mciavi.drv, and Dciman.dll files, use System File Checker (SFC). For information about using the Extract tool or SFC, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
ARTICLE-ID: Q129605
TITLE: How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files
You can use the extract tool to extract new copies of the Msvideo.dll and Dciman.dll files.
- To replace only the Mciavi.drv file, follow these steps:
1) In Control Panel, double-click the Multimedia icon.
2) On the Devices tab, double-click Media Control Devices.
3) Click the Motion Video Device media control, click Properties, and then click Remove.
4) Shut down Windows, turn off your computer, leave it off for at least three
seconds, and then turn it back on.
5) In Control Panel, double-click the Add New Hardware icon.
6) Click Next, click No, click Next, click Other Devices, and then click Next.
7) In the Manufacturers box, click Microsoft MCI. In the Models box, click
Motion Video Device (Media Control), and then click Next.
8) Click Finish. When you are prompted to restart your computer, do so.
For more information refer to the following page: Microsoft Support The game may not be detecting the proper Codec used to play the .avi files. You will need to install the Windows Codecs. This will require your Windows CD to install the Codecs.
1) Go to Start / Settings / Control Panel. Double-click the Add/Remove Programs
icon.
2) Click the Windows Setup tab.
3) Double-click Multimedia.
4) Find the listing for Video Compression.
5) If it is checked, uncheck it and click OK and then Apply. Reboot your system. Repeat this process. But only this time, check Video Compression. Press OK. It will ask for the Windows CD. Make sure to reboot the system when the install process is complete.
6) If Video Compression is not checked, check it. Press OK. It will ask for the
Windows CD. Make sure to reboot the system when the install process is complete.
Receiving a mmsystem296 error
Problem: This can be caused if the .AVI files are no longer associated with any media player or if the Microsoft .AVI file support libraries are missing or damaged.
Solution: You will need to go to the following website and download and install the Mmsys296.exe file. Microsoft Support The game may not be detecting the proper Codec used to play the .avi files. You will need to install the Windows Codecs. This will require your Windows CD to install the Codecs.
1) Go to Start / Settings / Control Panel. Double-click the Add/Remove Programs
icon.
2) Click the Windows Setup tab.
3) Double-click Multimedia.
4) Find the listing for Video Compression.
5) If it is checked, uncheck it and click OK and then Apply. Reboot your system. Repeat this process. But only this time, check Video Compression. Press OK. It will ask for the Windows CD. Make sure to reboot the system when the install process is complete.
6) If Video Compression is not checked, check it. Press OK. It will ask for the
Windows CD. Make sure to reboot the system when the install process is complete.
Solution provided by: Ryanamur

Back to index

[ 09-24-2002, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote