View Single Post
Old 10-18-2002, 08:59 PM   #48
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Hi Moni I just sent you a PM.

Now about your post, Oh I know quite well what was going on with wolf hunting, the early people in this country were more interested in beaver, deer and bear pelt, wolf pelts were accepted but fetched much lower prices and so were never really eagerly sought. Wolves and other predators were too dangerous in the 15 and 1600's for hunters to really want to take the chance on going after them alone, the real slaughter didnt start till colonies were settled and the wolves were driven off or killed to protect the colonies. The early firearms were not accurate at all and tryingto defend yourself against a pack of wolves was not something you did when it took 2 minutes or more to reload. (try reloading a muzzleloader when all wrapped up to protect against the cold some times) There are to this day still problems with wolves in siberia attacking small villages and carrying off younger children. Im right now in the middle of a History class that happens to be all about the 1500-1877 in the New World. We have discussed in depth the fur trades and what was and was not a marketable commodity....Did you know that some beaver back then were 10 foot long?? those things were HUGE now days its hard to find one longer than three feet. I could not believe the size of those beasties.
PM received and answered. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Where did you get the info on wolves stealing small Siberian children?
Beavers being 10 ft long?
I'd like to read up on those uh, facts?