Thread: BG I/BGII
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2003, 05:19 AM   #5
Legolas
Jack Burton

Definately BG1. There's more freedom to explore and the fights are both much more challenging (even requiring tactics now and again) and more realistic. Having fewer spells per character really adds to the challenge as well.

BG2 does have it's advantages in graphics (but they don't count for much), it has more and longer quests and the magic factor is greater, not to mention the increased NPC interaction.
But the plot is somewhat weaker (although Irenicus is a superb badguy), the amount of magic, while cool, may well be overkill, the magic items seem to be scattered everywhere (up to the point where you think "Another +2 weapon? I'll just leave it here, it's not worth the effort of carrying it to a store") and, and this was the main reason I preferred BG1, it feels much more linear (too much emphasis on following the main storyline).
Also, is it just me or are most BG2 fights more routine and less struggle for survival?

That's not to say I thoroughly enjoyed both parts of the series though, the comments are merely made relative to one another [img]smile.gif[/img]

BTW, you may see this thread get relocated to the polls forum someday soon
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote