View Single Post
Old 01-25-2005, 06:34 PM   #4
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Aragorn1:
No one else uses the PC, can't think how they got on their in the first place, i don't download much or use file sharing.

OK, so if i re-install (possible retarded question here) i'll have to back up my file right?

i understand that this is perhaps the best way, but with a slow net connection i'm reluctant to do so untill i upgrade it, should be soon though. Is there anyway that i can minimize the problem in the short term?

I know your're not all experts here and that it is a complex and individualized process so i wasn't expect help, just where to find it.
Heya Aragorn

Sorry to hear about your problems. I'm no expert on software either, but here are two avenues of advice that I have followed in the past.

Step 1 - Do a Google Search for the specific spyware program that is causing you problems. Just type "Remove "spywary program name"" and you should be given several sites that provide you step-by-step instructions to remove that program. They will give instructions on how to remove it automatically and manually.

Step 2 - Wiping you HD isn't such a bad idea and it IS the only foolproof method. If you have lots of different spyware programs, wiping the HD clean and re-installing Windows might actually take less time than removing them individually. I'm not savvy enough to do the cleaning and re-installing myself, so I had a local PC shop do it. It only cost about $100 (for roughly 2hrs labor). That may sound expensive, but they cleaned my HD, reinstalled Windows, and Saved everything in My Documents, my Favorites, and my Address Book. They then reinstalled these also, so my PC was ready to go when I picked it back up.