View Single Post
Old 11-07-2000, 02:18 PM   #16
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

Wow, the women are starting to come out of the woodwork now! Say, do any of you lovely ladies happen to be free tonight? Hehehe..

Anyway, I completely agree about the sexism inherent in a lot of these games. Not only that, but it implies a bit of stupidity on the part of the in-game females, that they would be dumb enough to go into battle wearing only a metal bra and a bracelet. So, both ways, it comes off as offensive. Look at the cover of the manual, for example; there is the angelic figure, rising above the ground, her perky honeydews swelling against the constraint of the fabric, as if straining to be free from their covering. and the.. and.. uh..... *shakes head* sorry, became distracted there. Seriously it does seem a bit goofy. But, at least the guy in the picture is equally inapproriately deressed.. and I seriously hope those are fur underbreeches that gentleman is wearing and not an obvious neglect for the trimming of pubic hair!

But, I suppose, friends and neighbors, that it comes down to the almighty dollar. Whatever the case, the primary demographic for this type of game is your late-teen to mid twenties male, probably single. What better away to attract the eye of your typical male than a bountiful bosom heaving off of the cover? Sad, but true.

Whatever the case, it's good to see some female representation on the forum. Welcome! (Though you've probably been here longer than I, as I just got the game on Thursday.)

Strangely, I enjoyed MM6, and MM8, but found that MM7 bogged down a bit, even though it was probably the most interesting and the most complex. I beat 6 & 8 but never managed to finish 7. Some other RPGs that I enjoyed thoroughly:

Master of Magic (more RP-TBS, but still excellent)
Disciples of Steel
Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, et. al..
Ultima 4, 5, 6 .. and 9 is worth a look, even though it is hated far and wide. It's still interesting, if you can run it!
System Shock 2 (more of a FPS with RPG elements, but WOW.. this game is absolutely amazing.)
Fallout 1 & 2 (my favorite games of all time.. if you've never played these, do so soon! You will not regret it.)
Wasteland (sort of Fallout's spiritual predecessor)
Bard's tale (Mainly just hack & slash, but fun for a while)
Dragon Wars (good, unique "stun" system, great skills system, turn based combat, and very underrated.. old, mine is on 5 1/4" hehe)
Dues Ex (again, more FPS than RPG, but still quite fun.. not in the same league as SS2, but still a blast. I'm playing through it right now!)