View Single Post
Old 11-08-2001, 02:05 PM   #9
Nifft the Nimble

In SoA, H'D is fun but not likely to get on anyone's Most Valuable NPC list. Here's why I take him with in SoA:

1) Pick-pocket skill. If you're using Yoshimo or Imoen (or both, in succession) you'll totally lack for pick-pocketing. Jan can pick if you put his points there, but they're better used in setting traps, especially if you plan on taking him to ToB.

2) Back-up mage. Here his quick access to high levels is important. He's got a Dispel Magic that's second only to Keldorn's. His rendition of Melf's Minute Meteors really rocks, since he's a natural for the Off-Hand Weapon Trick, and since his THAC0 is better than a regular mage's would be. Don't forget that he can use wands, and with pick-pocketing skill recharge them for free, so his limited spell selection is easily augmented.
3) Backup Fighter. He's no tank, but Melodic Chain combined with Stoneskin, Mirror Image and Improved Invisibility make up for some of his problems. There are a few routes you can go here. My two favorites for fighter-mages with two-weapon fighting skill are:
- Katanas! Dakkon's Zerth Blade in the off hand (so it won't get un-equipt when you cast Melf's Minute Meteors) and whatever in the on hand.
- Scimitars! Belm in the off-hand == extra attacks with whatever's in the on-hand!

4) Marksman. Give him skill in daggers and either the Firetooth or Boomerang Dagger and have fun. Offensive Spin = bonus attacks here, and immobility matters less when you're using missile weapons.

5) Lover. Watching him with Aerie just make me ... well want to puke, actually. Okay that's one reason against.

However, with ToB installed he's a whole new Tiefling! He was one of the most valuable NPCs in my whole party by the end. Here's why:

1) Enhanced Bard Song -- there goes the only thing wrong with Blades.

2) Use Any Item -- HELLO HELMETS AND SHIELDS! Finally he's able to use some good defensive items. Give him skill in Darts and Sword & Shield style and the Crimson Dart. He'll make you happy he's behind you.

3) Spike Traps -- by Helm! These contraptions rule.

4) Take more Spike Traps.

5) Time Stop Trap is actually kinda useful to this guy, since he's part mage. Nonetheless, take more Spike Traps instead.

-- Nifft