View Single Post
Old 08-24-2002, 09:10 PM   #18
Legolas
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Leshrac:
GREAT IDEA!!! i may not join the silent assassins, but i think that a large number of cults and armies, and everyone in the forum should join one, and then there should be a new section made in the forum especially for wars and whatnot!!!

i'll think about joining cause of the cool name, but i don't really have anything against Kaltia, so i'll think about it.
It does sound good at first glance, no?
Unfortunately, there are a number of difficulties. First, not everyone may want to join a cult or army. New members haven't a clue as to what's going on, and just like more senior members may not want to take part. Can we force them to join anything, and will it help anyone? The answer's no, let only those wanting to join, join.
The second problem is that over time, there'll evolve a huge number of slightly different "armies", some counting two members, others a hundred. Who can keep track of all that and make fights reasonably fair? Politics would become a pain, and anyone not visiting the forum for two days will have no clue as to what's going on anymore.
Making camps can often cause hostilities amongst members which would otherwise not have occurred.
Finally, although battles sounds cool, pitting two or more humans against eachother will rarely evolve into a good fight. An extensive set of rules will be needed, along with dozens of umpires to keep everything going properly. If you can come up with a good set of rules for large conflicts involving many different humn players, be so kind as to let us know

That being the case, there is a section on the Ironworks made specifically for roleplaying. At the moment there are all sorts of different games going on, although the pace is of course not as fast as a 'real' roleplaying game because of timezones etc.. Settings vary from fantasy Dark Agges to a sci-fi space age, and some adventures are actually set in the real world. You can also create your own game at any time. Although many of the games are not really using rules but are more matters of 'common sense', there are a few who differ. Again, you can make your own variation.
The one thing you're not allowed to do there is start a new clan, even if you can join an existing one. The reason is the above-mentioned problem with oversight.
On the other hand, you are allowed to roleplay a member of a new clan within a single thread, and carry over the character and his/her history to other threads you participate in.

The seperate roleplay section, by the way, is all the way down the list with forums, and called "Ironworks Online Roleplaying". Do come visit sometime [img]smile.gif[/img]