View Single Post
Old 07-15-2002, 08:33 PM   #130
Moni

Really. [img]smile.gif[/img]
While I lived in Arizona, a law was passed after a pick-up truck full of brush caught on fire in Tucson because someone threw a lit butt out the window that landed in the bed of the truck...they used a man who had been permanently blinded in one eye by a lit butt while he was on a motorcycle to emphasize the importance of the law being passed since just the blinding incident wasn't enough to make people react the first time around. The police there won't hesitate to ticket someone for it either.
Here in Texas there were fires along the interstates in the summers quite frequently in spite of a law banning throwing lit butts out the windows. I've seen some serious traffic jams and accidents in the more congested areas of the interstates. Last year they came down hard on people for it and this summer I've yet to see more than one fire but then again we've had hell's share of rain here lately with more in the forecast.
Definitely something to think about if you are a driver who believes they are at risk out of the negligence of others...as unsafe as driving can be already, why have the added risk of fire and injury through cigarette butts added to it?