View Single Post
Old 05-07-2001, 05:39 PM   #28
Tancred
White Dragon

SPOILER
Quote:
Anyone remember Shank & Carbos, the two rather inept assassins from Candlekeep (Ch. 1)? I came across them fighting each other in the Bridge District.
You know, I'm SURE I killed them two. Hell, I even played Chapter 1 again to make SURE they were dead. Carbos was even chunked. Hell, they even LIVE in Baldur's Gate! What happened? They recovered from their wounds, and didn't stop running until they hit Athkatla? Hey...

"She's MINE!" Shank lunged at his brother, the sudden hate clear in his face. Always it was Carbos getting the big breaks, the sweeter deals... always it was his stupid ideas getting them into trouble. He had almost got the pair of them killed more than once. Shank certainly wasn't letting him get away with stealing a girl as well.
Carbos met his brother blade to blade. Maria stood to one side, silently willing them on, not for either brother's sake, but for her own entertainment. Carbos detested his brother's simple-mindedness; it would just like him to draw steel for a girl as cheap as Maria. Of course, if that got the little fool killed, it was his fault alone...
The two brothers made a few passes, each seeking for an opening. Carbos leapt forward, aiming for his brother's left side; he knew Shank's left arm had been stiff ever since that botched killing in Candlekeep. Shank fell back, his footing suddenly knocked off-balance by Carbos' sudden strike. Somehow Shank got his knife in the way of his brother's, using his back leg to push against his brother. Shank grinned fiercely. He had always been bigger and stronger than his older sibling... if this contest came down to sheer strength, he felt confident.
There was a voice, commanding and sudden.
"Hoi! You there! Get away from him!"
Carbos felt Shank relax, and he spuin around to face the newcomer. His brother did the same. Rivalry was all very typical between the brothers, but neither would press an advantage under these circumstances. When it came to dodging the Watch, or mugging passers-by, they were as close as any. Shank snarled back at the figure in the alley. "What's it got to do with y-"
Something... something made him stutter away into silence. It wasn't the armour, glowing softly in the light, nor the colossal golden sword, nor the small band of likewise armed fellows behind the speaker. It wasn't the sheer size of him, or the stern glare, or the determined stance.
It was the face. A face they both knew.
Somehow, despite the sudden dryness in his throat, Carbos managed to force whispered words from between his lips.
"Oh, hell..."

Tancred

And then they run away to Tethyr, I assume...