View Single Post
Old 05-08-2001, 01:38 PM   #7
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I was deeply religious for around 25 yrs, and rather inclined to religion before that. Now I'm not.

1)The idea of a soul apart from the body makes no sort of sense. Soul/body is one and the same. Even the bible says 'All that your hand finds to do, do with your very power for there is no work, nor devising, nor knowledge, nor wisdom in Sheol, the place to which you are going' Ecclesiastes 9:10. And the writer was addressing believers! (Sheol, by the way is not a word for 'hell' but death & the grave, so far as I have been able to discover. Correct me if wrong ).

2)Where did all the disembodied souls come from? 'Heaven'? According to the bible, only god and the angels - who are supposed to be perfect - reside in heaven. Why would a god punish perfect, good beings by sending them to inhabit the bodies of far from perfect humans? Or animal? or insects? or microbes? and in those forms suffer all sorts of pains and, in some cases, appalling horrors? I mean, what FOR? What's an already perfect being got to learn? Hell, you don't HAVE to cut off your right hand to appreciate your left!

I believe that when you die you are dead. That is what the word 'dead' means: lifeless.
Since that is what I believe, it behoves me to live my life in such a way that do no harm, and try my best to do good. It behoves me to try and make this planet a better place to live for future generations.
It means I can't say 'it doesn't matter what the world is like, it is only a testing ground and we are all going to finish up in heaven'. THAT IS A BELIEF THAT GUARANTEES WE WILL NEVER REALLY CARE ABOUT THIS PLANET!! IT SAYS THIS PLACE DOESN'T MATTER!
But listen: if, as all you believers believe, God created this planet FOR US, and left it in OUR CARE, why do you think looking after it and looking out for each other - regardless of religious creed - doesn't matter!? 'Cos that is what it means to believe in an immortal soul that leaves this place and goes to heaven! Think about it!
Sorry. I get a bit passionate about religion. No offence intended to believers of any religion I just hate religion. I don't hate people who believe. Just RELIGION. It causes, or is the excuse for, so much division and hatred. I wish it didn't exist I think the world would be a much happier place without it. And without racial prejudice. Or any prejudice. (ok! OK! I know I just expressed a prejudice, lol )

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale
Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote