View Single Post
Old 03-31-2004, 04:00 PM   #23
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
When walking in London - stop suddenly and stare up at teh nearest building. The locals just love it - dodging slow moving tourists is their favourite pastime.
LOL - you don't have to wait until London to experience that - try going to your nearest shopping centre and getting on the escalator and then try to get off when the people in front of you decide the top would be a perfect place to stop and talk . And I know I haven't replied to your mail yet, Davros, but I really appreciated all your suggestions! They've gone onto the list [img]graemlins/bighug.gif[/img]

I think I mentioned on another thread that we're going to go to Lords and see the Ashes, Donut - you must be so proud to be able to show them off [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I'm disappointed too, Vaskez! There's so many places I'd love to go see but not this time I'm afraid. We even have to totally bypass Greece which makes the ancient historian in me weep!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! What a great idea, Philip, going up the Eiffel tower at night - we'll definitely do that! LOL we're not doing hostels - we're both a bit precious for that . We found the tripadvisor site - what a great resource! We found the people who wrote 500 word reviews a bit much though

We're actually staying at the university, Mel - the conference is being held there. I think there's also a day excursion for all the conferencees which I'll tag along on as well - I think we'll be doing castles and such then, should be very good. Advice on restaurants and so on would be really appreciated if it's not too much trouble! Yes we're going to stick to trains and buses - we're travelling between all the cities by train and then obviously the metro and underground and so on. I am so impressed by London and Paris's subway systems. LOL all the hotels are like ' 2 minutes from subway station' - not much of a call when pretty much everywhere is!

And thanks Link for your Rome ideas! We're definitely going to the Vatican, Hiero, so we can see our favourite artwork - Raphael's School of Athens. LOL it was funny, my brother said 'we have to go see my favourite painting', and I said, 'oh yes, I'll have to figure out where my favourite is so we can see it too', and he goes 'as if you know anything about art', and it turned out we both loved the same one

I'm getting more excited all the time! We're going to see our travel agent this morning to sort out hotels and train tickets and so on, we have our plane tickets already. More ideas would be appreciated as well!