View Single Post
Old 11-08-2002, 10:56 AM   #32
Thoran
Galvatron

IMO Good and Evil exist as absolute limits of an infinite line. Any action taken can be placed on this line based on its quantitative results.

The people who say Good/Evil are relative are saying that each of us, given the ability to place an action somewhere on this line, will put it in a place depending on our frame of reference... thus we will all "grade" an action differently. This is true, but I also believe that an action will have an absolute placement on this line, irrespective of frames of reference (and thus irrespective of your or my opinion on the matter [img]smile.gif[/img] ).

The people who say that Good/Evil don't exist are saying either :
that the only place an action can fall on the line is at the 50% point. Thus a murder (evil) will be offset by other factors (community coming together, outporing of goodwill to victem's family, etc...) I don't believe this because there have been too many evil actions for which there was no corresponding good to offset (communist purges for instance... tens of millions killed for nothing)
OR, that since we're all just recycled dirt anyway, the murder of one of us is irrelavent. The universe is based on order, and this is perhaps the most chaotic concept imaginable... our existance depends on the fundamental assertion that the above concept is false. If you believe it's true then we might as well not exist... because the state of our existance is irrelevant... whether your dirt in a hole or a living thinking entity (whatever that is). I gues I tend to think that if our optimum configuration were dirt... then we never would have evolved as a species into anything other than dirt. The universe has a plan for us, and who are we to second guess the universe (or God or whoever)

[ 11-08-2002, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Thoran ]