View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #5
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Default Re: Silly dumb Burn game question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyzekke View Post
OK so after 3 days I finally downloaded Sacred II, the UK version, onto my PC via a UK site. I now want to download it onto a DVD disc. It probably needs updating and I don't dare try to do any updates until I have it safely onto a disc. So today I bought a Maxel DVR-R set of discs. They also had Maxell DVR+R discs, but I could not discern what the difference was between the -R and the +R from reading the outside of the package.

Anywho, can someone help my pathetic ignorant self how I can take my Maxell DVR-R disc and get my downloaded game onto the disc. What is the difference between "Burn" and "Rip"? Just need to know how to do it without screwing anything thing up. I have always bought games via disc so this is the first time I downloaded a game. It took 7 hours to get it downloaded so I do not want anything to go wrong when trying to copy it on a disc LOL.

Any help on how to do it would be greatly appreciated, thank you ahead of time.
When the download finished, what is the name of the file after the . I'm familiar with .ISO and that is the easiest to work with. If not, I'm sure one of the 'gammers' will come along and help out. There should be some sort of instruction with it to burn as well.

What I can help with is the disc. In a nutshell, 'most' PCs with a DVD burner can burn to either format, and the storage is identical. The disc you have is -R, and does not require a format sequence prior to burning. They are acceptable for playback on older stand alone DVD drives. Use 2004'ish as the break point of newer/older. And transfer from PC(s) with little fuss. Price and packing differences are negligent if not identical, brand loyalty and disc style is more for individuality. It is a write once disc. The RW version is (re) recordable.

The +R is the opposite, requires a format sequence prior to use, and is the hard standard for modern stand-alone DVD players, thou 'most' manufacturers claim dual compatibility, and most review sites will claim compatibility issues across the spectrum. Those issues are usually not associated with PCs.

Lastly, the other type is DVD -/+ R DL = Dual Layer, this requires modern hardware and a DL drive. It effectively increases the storage from 4.7 to 8.5.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote