Thread: LOF: Awakenings
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007, 03:49 PM   #282
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgeruat:
Oley
"Gilliam, I'd like to hear your answers to the question I posed to you earlier. If you pass, I've some tasks that are essential to the success of several of my projects here, they will no doubt be of great value to your instruction."

Gillian inwardly panicked at Oley’s question although his expression slipped into one of studied indifference. In the excitement of their practical experimenting he had forgotten his brief investigations in the other room and slightly regretted now not taking more time over them. He wondered briefly what Oley might be expecting of him but quickly realized that all he could do was answer in his own way. He straightened up.

”Archmage Oley, I detected no magical illusions but although my eye for such is reasonable I am yet to learn any specific spells to reveal them. I expect that some of the furnishings and some of the books aren’t really as ‘magical’ as they appear. I, apologize if this supposition offends but I found that many of the city wizards . . . ‘decorated’ their studies more for the benefit of ignorant visitors than for the means of practicing their art.”

He trailed off as if unsure but then continued more confidently. ”But then illusions, like beauty, are in the eye of the beholder. There is a sense, I believe, in which all things are both truth and illusion together. A man could enter a tavern with a dagger, the truth of which to him could be that it signifies nothing but his desire of ornamentation, his membership of a social set that affected such things or merely that he felt the need of a handy tool for the cutting of fruit. The fearful observer ‘sees’ none of this however but rather the illusion of a violent man to which the dagger is a clue.” Gillian’s rate of speech had increased as he spoke, warming to his subject. ”So the art, no, the craft of illusion is not to conjure images in the air but to insinuate, subtly and invisibly into the mind of the beholder the effect that you hope to achieve”.

Gillian stopped, aware that he tended to talk too much when on his pet subject and also that Oley would probably not appreciate a lecture. He gave an embarrassed grin in apology for his ramblings then after a moment’s pause said, ”Oh yes. And I don’t think you’re anywhere near as drunk as you suggest you are.”
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote