View Single Post
Old 11-08-2002, 08:30 PM   #20
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Well, let's see LadyZ.

Growing up on my street as an only child, I had similar experiences...at 8 years old, I HATED the daycare center, so my parents agreed to let me stay home. I became a latch-key kid because they were afraid they'd get in trouble (there were laws at the time in our area, at least, which stated a child under 12 could not stay home unattended). So...I was careful and spent most of my time with my best friend tooling around the woods and streams.

I did chores around the house without expecting payment of any kind. It was my 'job'. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

When I would get bored at home by myself I cranked up the volume on the radio and *danced*, for lack of a better word , until I was pooped. My main *punishment* for misbehaving was to be sent to my room. My parents never could understand why I didn't mind. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Lemme see...a full set encyclopedia, dictionary (for the words I didn't know in the encyclopedia) and a great deal of books at hand. PLUS loads of stuffed animals and board games. [img]smile.gif[/img] I'd entertain myself during my entire *incarceration* [img]tongue.gif[/img]

My best friend lived across the street and three doors down. We would take off and re-enact the Dukes of Hazzard or Miami Vice in the back woods...we were always damsels in distress. [img]tongue.gif[/img] We'd play tennis in the street and only have to move out of the way occasionally for a passing car. And we'd sunbathe ALL DAY LONG, only turning on occasion for even browning [img]tongue.gif[/img] and never thought about the dangers of skin cancer. We ate REAL sugar and twinkies and never thought about what any of it might do to our arteries.

I'd go across the street to the nice older couple's house and receive milk and cookies or lemonade and pie with no worries that they meant me any harm. Everyone knew everyone else and everyone else's kids. We all looked out for each other instead of just ourselves. We'd take up for a kid getting picked on instead of turning a deaf ear. We'd go to bed with the doors unlocked. And frequently, on nice spring and summer evenings, I'd wrap up in a sheet (to keep the bugs from crawling on me [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) and get a pillow and SLEEP on the front porch swing...

*sigh* [img]smile.gif[/img]
[img]\"http://home.earthlink.net/~moraine_sedai/_uimages/dragonmage.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/hero2.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Alureth...Dragon friend of Lady Breanna<br /><br />Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.<br />Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force<br />Mother Hen of IW and Mage extraordinaire.<br /><br />Utterly in love with my soul mate, Hiram.