View Single Post
Old 01-27-2002, 12:56 PM   #16
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
To be honest, Mythology and History are 2 separate things

Doh, LS, I don't think Byronas was implying the contrary at all. You have to admit that Greek Mythology is a part of their history, and therefore his use of the term history is perfectly acceptable.

Oh and Byronas, thanks [img]smile.gif[/img] I've always loved mythology, and yours (the Greek one I mean) is the first I ever came across as a kid. Even got bullied for knowing so much about it.... guess that pays off later though, huh?

But I agree, it's a shame when people forget about these things. My boyfriend tells me it's stupid to expect people to know such things, but to me, a basic knowledge of the world, including religion and mythology, is just common sense and common knowledge. I mean, I expect no one to know the Greek pantheon by heart, but I also find it strange when people haven't even heard of the most important of the Greek Gods...

Edit: When I studied English, it amazed me how limited most of my fellow students' knowledge of Antiquity and the Bible was. You'd think that to understand the majority of English poetry, you'd have to have at least *Some* knowledge of them, but no. It's very frustrating to be in a class discussing a great poem and having to stop every minute because people don't understand a single mythological reference... [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img]

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: Melusine ]