View Single Post
Old 09-13-2001, 09:57 AM   #61
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
Now, don't get me wrong here, this isn't a flame, but I don't see how you can think that somehow John Q. Public dictates what's reported on the t.v. and radio. I don't think I was ever asked what I'd like to hear or see. I watch what's presented and often find it lacking (part of the reason I don't bother to watch the news sometimes). I feel that they don't want us to know all that's going on "out there". It's the same in other countries...they only tell the general population what they want them to know. I think we're probably going to continue to disagree on this, though. Your other posts indicate that you are quite set on what you believe, which is okay, but leaves you with little room to consider the validity of what someone else has to say.

Love ya, though!

We live in a consumer society where consumer demand is catered for.

In Britain, the tabloids, of which we have more than any other country in the world, sell far more papers than do the more considered broadsheets (ie. the 'serious' papers). The left wing Guardian has, I believe, the smallest circulation of all. What's the message? That a large majority WANT so called mostly sex and celebrity based 'human interest' stories, with half a column of real news on page 10.

If the American people as a whole want better media reporting, can't you take action to get it? That's the whole point of a consumer society, or so I thought. The consumer calls the shots. (That's the way it's been sold to us, at all events... )

If you want wider and more thoughtful coverage and reporting, complain until you get it!!! Action is the only way to get change.

------------------