Thread: Torin
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2001, 08:25 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Actually, I think Hephaestus' accent is what would be called "Scouse". He sounds a lot like a young Ringo Starr (Liverpudlian).

I don't think the designers were intentionally trying to be non-PC with Torin's voice. I think they were trying a little too hard to imply "Japanese". Notice that Grunaxe's voice (the father) is far less affected.

Other noticeable accents in the game: Both Bilbump and H'Thark are definitely Cockney, except for the rhyming slang. I kept waiting to hear H'Thark say "Oy! 'Op it, now!" or something like that. Gorthius' inflections were definitely annoying; too swashbucklery and "Robin-Hoodish" for words. Erathsmedor has something of a Welsh lilt to his voice. Interestingly enough, Rethpian's voice was more cultured than his brother Bilbump, for a ratcatcher.

Harespia and the gypsies definitely have a put-on faux "Rumany" accent; again more for effect than anything else, although I agree with Skywalker; it definitely gets old fast.

The most effective voice-over for me was Elyssia. When she intoned "Murderers!" for the first time, it chilled me. (Of course, I was playing late at night and practically in the dark...talk about total immersion...)

Cheers,
Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote