Thread: The City
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 07:59 PM   #1
manikus
Jack Burton

Sunglass Man The City

I've been thinking about a city project. It's not a collaboration, but something new and exciting! Alright, it's kind of a collaboration. The idea is that someone (that would probably be me) creates a base for other designers to add onto. The base would consist of the core of a city and a grand and expansive items database.This base would be uploaded someplace where anyone could download it for their own use. The base would have at least 4 "gates" to other parts of the city. A designer would create their level, in whatever flavor they so desired, and then upload the parts to be added on. The base creator would update the package, etc. etc.
The base maintainer would keep track of who is working on what area and using what level numbers, etc.
Ideally, designers would put one or more gates in their section to yet other sections that are yet unexplored. The city could grow exponentially.
As creator of a section, you would be welcome to do whatever you wanted - choose whatever graphics style add NPCs, quests, combats etc. The only caveats would be - (1) You have to continue the resolution established and and viewport znd bigpic sizes. (2) You're not allowed to change anybody elses section but you can collaborate (3) Keep it PG-13, i.e. fit for consumption by 13 year olds and older.

This thread will be a place to talk about the project, but also a place to list tips and tricks for city design and a place to ask all of your city related questions. It may be that there are folks who want to participate, but don't have the time to make a level or two, so they could just post some of their great advice here.

I was thinking about how the map will lay out - the city center (ostensibly what I will be creating) should be a size that will either be the basis for all other "squares" of the map, or it could be that the base creator sets a size for that level alone and it's up to the other designers for what they want to do; or option 3, the base creator creates an interlocking map of levels of various sizes so that a person could work on a smaller or bigger section as to what they feel comfortable with.

SilentThief is the first on-board with me, so come on everyone else! Let me know if you want to participate now if you want to be part of the initial planning process, or feel free to join in at any time in the future.