View Single Post
Old 03-03-2002, 05:17 PM   #25
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
When the sperm fertilises the egg, the organism created is alive, in simple terms. However I think there is more to this question - specifically human life seems more complicated than this.

So the foetus is cells, which are unique because they can differentiate into any kind of cells in the body - liver, heart, brain etc. I think when the brain begins to develop is important - we as humans appear to put a great emphasis on our brains as differentiating us from other living organisms. So especially when the cerebrum is developing, which is really where the main points of difference are in our brain compared to other species, I think is crucial for human life, as unique from just life.

Of course then with this theory I would have to say that babies born braindead or with parts of their brain missing are essentially not human, or less human, but then maybe they aren't, insomuch as they can't function in the ways they we define as human. Flaw in the theory maybe. Just making it up as I go along . Though some people with very large parts of their brain, or at least their cerebrum, missing, have managed to function very well because of the plasticity of the brain. Maybe the potential for human-like functioning is what makes human life essentially human.

Interesting points. Is the only human a perfect human? Any of the defenitions of humanity can be broken.

Bi-podal? What if a human is born without legs?
Capable of speech? What of a mute or someone born with brain damage to the speech areas?

And so on.

Isn't it the potential that mostly defines us? How we would be if all things were normal.?

On a tangent, I love extremists. Mountain climbers and the like who expand the definition of humanity.

You can truly say, "A human can climb a very high flat walled rock face with bare hands and softshoed feet."

Incredible.

http://www.hughwilson.com