View Single Post
Old 01-08-2003, 04:09 PM   #2
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

There're 2 possibilities:

1) Your motherboard doesn't support 133MHz RAM (PC133).
2) Your BIOS doesn't support it.

BIOS is the Basic Input Output System
It's basically like a low-level operating system. (Low-level means close to the hardware). It checks that all your devices like graphics card and keyboard are attached and then looks for an operating system and loads it. It also handles all hard disks and RAM. So what you need to do is boot your computer and look to see what logo appears. You could have a PhoenixBIOS or American Megatrends or whatever. The logo should be displayed on boot-up. Also check the version. You can press the Pause/Break key (above page up) to pause the screen while you write down the info. Then do a search for this BIOS versio on www.google.com.

Or post this info back here and I'll give you a hand.

Anyway, to upgrade your BIOS you will need to download the new version then follow the instructions which will involve running the BIOS set-up program from a floppy disk. In case you are wondering, the BIOS is stored on a CMOS chip (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) and that is why you can't get at it like you can get at windows which is on your hard disk.

Like I said, it could also be your motherboard (mobo) in which case you can't really do much except buy PC100 RAM or get a new motherboard. My 2 year-old motherboard needs PC-100 RAM. It should tell you in your computer's manual in the upgrading section.
You can find out which motherboard you have by looking for the motherboad ID string which is also displayed at boot up. It will be a long number (like 20 digits or something)above where your RAM gets counted up. You then have to go onto a motherboard ID site and type the number in and it should tell you if it's a well-known make and model. Then you can find info on it.

[ 01-08-2003, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray