View Single Post
Old 02-02-2001, 03:07 AM   #47
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

How cool is that fighter-thief! Your reply to my 'No worries' actually moved me. You're a great guy and I've been enjoying your posts bro.

Rikard, Van Diemen was Tasmans boss. Abel Tasman originally named 'Van Diemens Land' after him before Australians named it Tasmania.

Hartog & Co. discovered West Oz by accident (the roaring fourties blew them too far), but it was the Englishman Charles Darwin (the Christian who made evolution theory famous) who made the negative comments about ALL AUSTRALIA being a desert with "the most miserable people on the earth" after landing in the far north. It was kind of like an explorer landing on the Kola peninsular in winter and saying all Europe was a frozen wasteland and that the Lapps were all joyless.

I heard a comedian here tell this joke:

There were three buisinessmen travelling by train from Sydney to Melbourne. As they crossed the border into Victoria they saw a black sheep.
"Oh" the first man said "I guess all sheep in Victoria must be black"
"No you idiot" the second replied " all you can tell from that picture is that at least one sheep in Victoria is black."
The third man was silent for a while before making the sly comment "Well actually all you can truly see from that picture is that at least one sheep in Victoria is black ON ONE SIDE." - boom boom.