View Single Post
Old 08-06-2006, 01:05 AM   #245
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

"Papa!"

Robyn's eyes widened in disbelief as the visual impact of her completely recovered father sent her staggering backward.

"Papa! You're alright!" Before she knew what she was doing, she had rushed up to him, flinging her arms around him, not caring if she were crushing his ribs. "This is too wonderful, Papa! A miracle, indeed!" She felt his warm embrace turn stiff gradually, however, and guessed at his reproof.

"Papa..." Disengaging herself, she knelt before him and lowered her head. "I am so sorry to have endangered your life like that. It was so thoughtless of me." She almost could not breathe from the sense of relief and ecstacy that the gods had been thus merciful and answered her prayers. "It won't happen again, Papa."

When still he spoke not, her eyes flitted to his face and she read helpless acceptance in them. Yet there was unmistakable mistrust, not to mention suppressed restlessness. Yes, it must be Altair he wonders about.

Taking a deep breath, she continued, speaking slowly and hoping that the words would sink in. "This is Altair, Papa. Do you remember?" Another glance confirmed that she need not repeat herself. "We have just returned from the forest, Papa... or rather, around it." Her cheeks flushed as she felt her father's burning gaze turn back towards herself.

"That will do, Robyn." Gerald's tone was assertive but not unkind, leastways not to his daughter. But the sight of the unkempt figure before him was a distressing one, especially when he associated this with the Swizec family.

"Robyn, I'm going to have to ask you to leave us alone for the moment." His gaze turned stern as she showed the first signs of protest. "Be assured that Altair will stay the night here, minimally. And I will neither throw him out nor into the dungeon, which is what you seem to fear." The very apprehension in those beloved green eyes showed that some unpleasantness had been involved, and he had no intention of anyone varnishing the truth.

"We will talk over this tomorrow morning, the three of us. But for now, you and Benedict will leave." It was an order she could not disobey.

Left now man to man, Gerald returned his attention to the criminal-like Altair before him. Suspend your judgement, Gerald. It was difficult indeed, considering the circumstances, but he would try.

"Suppose you tell me your entire tale, Altair." Quiet was his tone, as he motioned for the lad to take a seat beside him.
mistral4543 is offline   Reply With Quote